Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Grandma - My Shining Light

Who has been a shining light in your life? 

For me, there's no doubt it's my grandparents - especially my Grandma (aka the most loving woman on the planet).

I grew up in a house with young, immature, rebellious, unhealthy, drug-addicted parents who hated each other.  Not the most pleasant environment to say the least.  There were plenty of times with no food, no electricity, and where new school clothes or school supplies were not considered necessities.

I was the oldest of four kids, plus two younger cousins who lived with us.  So, parenting pretty much fell on my shoulders.  This was all the more frustrating because my parents didn't just willing give up that role.  Knowing when I was expected be the parent and when I was expected to be the child was an almost impossible feat.

My mother and I stopped getting along when I was about 10 or 11.  Her drug & alcohol addictions were pretty much taking over her life by then and as they did she grew more and more contemptuous of me.

You can imagine how easily this environment could breed contempt, anger, bitterness, loneliness, and hopelessness.  And I must admit, I've struggled with all of these feelings for many years.

Throughout all the trials and tribulations I ever went through there was one person in the world who I knew genuinely loved me, and that was my Grandma.  If she's not an angel, she's the closest thing to it.

Most of my life she's lived across the country from me and it kills me to be so far away from her.  There's never been any doubt in my mind that she thinks I'm beautiful, smart, talented, and worth something.  She has made me feel adored my entire life and without her there's no doubt I would have had no shield against all the negative forces I battled every day.

My Grandma showed me what it's like to be a loving wife, mother, grandma & sister. 

My Grandma showed me what it's like to put others before yourself just to bring them a little happiness. 

My Grandma showed me that you can have very little money and still make someone feel like they are the most important person in the whole world.

My Grandma showed me what it means to put your family before everything else in your life and to love them always, even when you don't like the choices their making.

My Grandma showed me how to be a friend and to listen to those around me.  She showed me that love, loyalty, respect and kindness are the foundation to friendships that will last a lifetime.  

My Grandma showed me what it's like to be a faithful Christian who loves God with all her heart, all her mind, and all her spirit.

Unless you've lived in complete darkness, you can't truly appreciate what it means to have one shining light in your life.  But, I think everyone can relate to having someone who lights their path at some point. 

I wouldn't be who I am today without my Grandma and I can't thank God enough for blessing me with her love.

Don't ever underestimate the power you have to be the light for someone else.  You never know the impact it may have on them.

1 comment:

  1. How heartwarming. I felt that way about my grandma (my dad's mom). They could have been twins because my grandma carried all those attributes too. She passed from this life 17 years ago and I miss her dearly. I also had my mom who had those attributes too. My mom's mom "My Grandmother" was a good Christian woman too. How bless I have been and I know I'm the person I am today because of those women in my life.

    ReplyDelete